Register as an overseas visitor

Date published: 02 March 2021 16:38

Urgent update - 19 February 2021

System not working / issues when creating or logging into online accounts

We are currently experiencing some issues when visitors are creating or logging into online accounts whereby verification emails are not being sent. We are aware of this and it is being worked on to fix the issue.

Due to this, please do not try to create an online account with us until Monday 8 March 2021 and instead send us an email to explain your situation. Our email address is:

Please do not worry about this, it will not affect your seven days to create an account, we will make a note once the account can be created, that your registration date will reflect the date you contact us via email.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Updated December 2020

This is an update for anyone who has the requirement to Register with Police for the first time as well as those who are Transferring or wishing to report new details.

New registrations / persons transferring from elsewhere in the UK

Please read all the information in section 2 “How do I start the Registration Process?”

Once you have successfully created an online account, you will be advised to book an appointment to complete the process and receive your Police Registration Certificate.

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, we do not have any appointments for everyone’s safety. Please do not worry about this. The date you create your account is the date we say you have registered - and it will be reflected on your Certificate when we do see you in 2021.

Please email us at to let us know you have created your account. Include your name and Username (Email address used to create the account) in the email.

By doing this, we can check all the necessary information has been entered. More importantly, we will be able to see how many appointments will be required. We can keep your email address so we can contact you again when we are able to release appointments in 2021.

Change of details 

Please log back into your online account at the bottom of section 2 and add all your new details.

When you have submitted your details, you will be advised to book an appointment.

Even though there are currently no appointments available, we will say that the date your account is updated is the date you have reported your changes. This date will be reflected on your certificate when we see you in 2021.

Please email us at to inform us that you have reported changes.

This will help us work out how many appointments we will need to release in 2021.

If you cannot log back into your account – you may not have been able to complete the registration process before lockdown – please email us -  and we can update your account instead. We would ask that you send proof of any changes – such as tenancy agreement /CAS/BRP.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding. 2020 has been such a difficult year for everyone. Hopefully we will slowly return to a  normal service in 2021!

1. Advice for overseas visitors arriving to South Yorkshire

When you enter the UK for the first time you may be asked to register with the police if you are a national of one of the following countries:-

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China (inc. Hong Kong  & Macao), Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan & Yemen.

The entry clearance visa in your passport may have any of the following wording:- Register with Police within seven days of UK arrival, Register with Police, Police Registration or Pol Reg. If this appears, then you will be required to register with police.

If you have been granted a BRP card as an extension to your entry clearance visa and it is a Leave to Remain visa (this means you applied for it whilst living in the UK ), you should receive an email from Home Office Atlas or possibly receive a letter from the Home Office instead, which states you now have a requirement to register.

This situation usually applies to students who have entered the UK on a three month entry clearance visa, whilst studying an English language course – but who have then progressed to starting a degree course.

In general, visitors with an entry clearance visa, which is valid for between three to six months do not need to register with police at that time.

If you are still uncertain about your requirement to register, the easiest thing for you to do is take screen shots of your visas and email them to us at the following address

Children under 16 years old do not have a legal requirement to register with police.

2. How do I start the registration process?

If you are new to the UK and have not previously registered with the police, you must now create an online account.

First of all, please read the following information which will help you create your account:

  • you must have a valid email address, which will be your username
  • your account will take around 10-15 minutes to create
  • depending on your particular circumstances, there will be around eight pages of information for you to fill in – including passport and visa details, study or employment details as well as your home address and your current UK address
  • if you are married, you will also be asked to provide details of your spouse even if they are not in the UK with you
  • if your spouse is in the UK,  and also has a requirement to register with police, they must create their own account with a different email address. They will also be required to book their own appointment to complete the registration process. It is not possible for two people to be seen at one appointment
  • you will be required to upload a passport style photo of yourself (head and shoulders).

When you fill in the online form, there are some drop down boxes with different options for you to choose from.

For the foreign national type there are three options:

  • Student – for anyone studying in the UK
  • Employee – for anyone working in the UK including Academic Visitors
  • Non-employee– for either a dependant or someone who is self-employed / Turkish businessperson

There are four form submission types

  • Change of details– for anyone who has already completed the registration process but has some new information to report
  • New registration – for anyone who is new to the UK and registering for the first time
  • Request new certificate – for anyone who has either lost their Police Registration Certificate or had it stolen. This is also for anyone needing a replacement Police Registration Certificate – if their current one is full.
  • Transfer from another force – for anyone transferring to live/study/work in South Yorkshire from elsewhere in the UK .

After you have successfully created your online account, you will be prompted to book an appointment . You will be sent a link to access our online diaries.

There are several diaries (venues) available for different purposes. Please choose the option that is relevant for your circumstances - not just the first appointment you see which is available.

If you book a venue which is not relevant, you may not be seen on that date and may have to book a further appointment instead.

  • New registrations - choose one of the new registrations only venues. There are up to four available at busy periods.
  • Change of details - choose the change of details only venue
  • Transfers - choose the change of details 0nly venue

If you have lost your  Police Registration Certificate, had it stolen OR your old Certificate is full and need replacing, then please book a NEW REGISTRATIONS appointment instead.

If you are having problems creating an account, and would like some assistance, please email us at and we will be happy to help.

You have not completed the police registration process until you have received your police registration certificate. Please do not forget to book and attend an appointment. 

  • Students - if you fail to attend your booked appointments we will notify your Sponsor (University). This can affect future visa applications.

Reporting changes of details

If you already have a Police Registration Certificate and an online account and you  have some new details such as studies visa and address – please log back into your online account and choose the Change of Details option.

If you are leaving the UK on a temporary basis for more than two months and are intending to return, please inform us. (for students especially, who may be returning home for the summer break )  This information needs to be entered onto your PRC and so you should book a Change Of Details appointment.

3. Leaving the UK permanently?

If you are leaving the UK on a permanent basis to return home please can you email us at  about a week before your departure. Remember to include your name date of birth and your PRC number in the email.

Please send an image of your e ticket if possible so we can clearly see the date of departure, destinations and flight number(s).

We do not require you to return your PRC to us at the police station. Keep it safe – if your plans change and you decide to return to the UK within 12 months for further studies/employment etc you will be able to have it updated with all new details.


4. What will happen if I do not register with the police within seven days?

Failure to register with the Police is an offence under Section 26(1)(f) of the Immigration Act 1971 – and when a person fails to register you could face prosecution. You may be liable to arrest and could face a fine of up to £5,000, six months imprisonment –  or both. Your stay in the UK may be affected.

If you are late registering with the police, or updating any changes, it may affect any further visa application you make for the UK. The UKVI can refuse to issue you with a new visa!

IMPORTANT – The date you create your account online is the date we say you have registered with police.

Please do not worry if you cannot get an appointment to see us for six to eight weeks.

5. What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?

6. What happens if I cannot attend my scheduled appointment?

You will receive an automatic email reminder 48 hours before your appointment. If you cannot come to the appointment, then you can cancel or reschedule it up to 24 hours before the appointment time, by logging back onto your account.

By cancelling your appointment, you are giving someone else the opportunity to book it, which helps us to see as many people as possible.

If you do not have your passport in time for the appointment (maybe it has been sent away for a visa application) please re schedule the appointment as we cannot complete your registration without it.

7. Contact us

If you are having problems creating an account, please email us at and we will be able to assist.

Please do not attend at Snig Hill Police Station without an appointment.

Please note there are no toilet facilities at Snig Hill Police Station, and there is no car parking.

Our address is:

Overseas Visitors Registration Office

Snig Hill police station
S3 8LY